One year ago today, I wrote what I consider the first Hip Diggs’ blog post. It was a challenge to myself and my audience to live simple. Today, I’d like to look back at that post to see how much progress I’ve made. Will you join me?
One year ago today, I wrote this post:
The 10 Step Challenge seemed to touch a nerve with a lot of people. It brought hundreds of readers to the blog in just a few days. It continues to be one of my most popular posts. It set the stage for Hip Diggs.
It Started With A Simple Challenge
You might think living simple is easy. It’s not. Modern culture would not have us live simple. It’s a challenge to let go of all the stuff that’s been thrust upon us. Will you stand with me and take the 10 step challenge to simple living?
I Challenged You To Take These Ten Steps
- Do less
- Eat right
- Turn off (technology)
- Bond (family)
- Make music
My Happy Birthday Review
- Unclutter: In the last year, I’ve downsized a lot. My closet is half as full. My garage is nearly empty. I’ve taken several trips to charity.
- Relax: I’ve started an evening ritual of sitting and doing nothing. I take a few minutes to just breathe. I’ve also been power napping.
- Do less: I stopped shopping as often. I stepped down from a couple of commitments. I drive about half as much as I was driving a year ago.
- Eat right: I struggle with this one. I did good through the winter and spring. Although I don’t eat perfectly, I’ve practiced moderation. I’ve even lost a few pounds.
- Walk: I continue to walk 4-6 times a week. I’ve also been doing a good amount of biking. I even started working out at the gym a couple times a week.
- Turn off: I watch very little TV, but I still struggle with computers and smartphones. I did turn off my Internet for the summer.
- Bond: Annie and I went to St. Louis, Missouri together. We also went to Port Townsend, Washington for sailing lessons. We’ve spent many hours over the last month riding bikes together. And we planted a garden.
- Make music: I’ve written nearly 40 songs since last October.
- Read: I still don’t read as much as I used to, or as much as I’d like. I’ve read about six books in the past year.
- Pray: Although I have no routine, other than saying a prayer with Annie at bedtime, I’ve continued to pray. Still, like reading, it’s something I’d like to increase.
How about you? How have you been doing? Have you set any goals? Have you reached them? I encourage you to keep doing your best to live simple.