In October, I introduced The 10 Step Challenge To Simple Living. I hope you’re taking this challenge to heart. I am. You can learn to live a more simple and happy life, but it’s not always easy. There’s a hidden root for the poor habits we create. What if I told you it all comes down to one thing?
It all starts when we’re born, but I’m getting ahead of myself.
My dad was a wise man. He lived a simple life. He didn’t care about money or success. He didn’t care about how others saw him. He didn’t compare. He didn’t buy into the media. He understood that comparisons led to fear. He also understood that fear is at the root of all human unhappiness.
Fear Is The Root Cause To All Your Problems
In the new year, I invite you on a journey to get to the root cause of your problems. Understanding that fear is the root to unhappiness is the beginning of healthy change. The key is to replace old habits, based on fear, with new habits.
- Would you like to get rid of clutter?
- Would you like a more peaceful home?
- Would you like to reduce your stress?
- Would you like to stop worrying?
- Would you like to be more productive?
- Would you like to be more healthy?
Get To The Root, Accomplish More
Once you get to the root of the problem, you can begin to adopt positive changes. The coming year can be a new beginning. The first thing you need to do is get to the root cause of your problems: fear. You need to discover what fears have caused you to react in an unhealthy manner. Then you can begin to tackle those fears and learn to let go. Letting go is the key to simple living.
Four Common Fears
- The fear of not being good enough: You live in a competitive society. You’re told that winning is everything. If you’re a procrastinator, this might be why. People often put off doing, because they fear the results won’t be good enough. The same holds true in relationships. Your relationships fail when you feel your partner is better than you are.
- The fear of not having enough: You’ve been taught by the media that you must have more of everything. That’s a lie. In reality, you need very little in order to live a happy life. The happiest people in the world are not the richest people. The happiest people are the ones who learn to live and make best with what they have. If you struggle with hoarding, overeating, or clutter, this fear could be the root cause.
- The fear of what others think: Comparisons are deadly. Our culture teaches you from an early age that you must fit in. My daughter already struggles with this false need. The advertising industry has painted an unrealistic picture of how you should live. This picture leads to comparisons. You fear that others see you in a negative light. Chances are they barely see you at all, because they’re worried about their own insecurities. If you have low self-esteem, this fear could be why.
- The fear of losing everything: What would you do without a car? What would you do without a TV? What if you had to live in a studio apartment? Would any of those things kill you? No. You’ve been programmed to believe that you need to live at a certain level or you’re not living at all. It’s another lie. You can live a minimalist life and be happy. If you struggle with drinking, gambling, or debt, this fear may be the root cause.
Pull the Root, Face Your Fears, Move Forward
Hip Diggs is in the process of creating an online course that has the power to change your life. The Live Simple program will offer practical advice for dealing with issues that are holding you back. I’ll offer step-by-step instructions to help you let go of unneeded possessions and unwarranted emotions. I’ll help you learn to help yourself. And it will only cost you about a quarter a day: just simple change.
In the meantime, I invite you to read my free ebook: The Happiness of Simple. There’s no email signup required. Just download the PDF. The book helps you to understand how simple living can lead to happiness and productivity.
I also invite you to begin the 10 Step Challenge. Read these posts to get started:
- Unclutter: Clean Space Creates A Relaxing Place
- Relax: Inhale Exhale Repeat Relax
- Do less: Busy? Don’t Be Too Busy To Be Human
- Eat right: 14 Simple Foods For Better Health
- Walk: Daily Walk For Body, Mind And Spirit
- Turn off: TV: Five Reasons To Turn Off Your Screen
- Bond: Find Time For Family Bonding
- Make music: Play Music To Simplify Life And Reduce Stress
- Read: Reading Books Boosts Mood: Read Daily
- Pray: Simple Prayer Brings Deep Contentment
I’ll keep posting new articles here once or twice a week. It’s my hope that you’re discovering new ways of thinking and living with each post. My goal is to help you to live a more simple life. Keeping life simple has many benefits. We’ve only just begun to recognize a few of them. I hope you continue to take this journey with me.
I encourage you to sign up for the Hip Diggs newsletter. You’ll receive news and helpful information about simple living in your email box each month. Will you join?