Don't miss our holiday offer - 20% OFF!
5 Simple Ways To Become More Open Minded
Minimalism isn’t for the closed-minded. It takes an open minded individual to truly embrace the idea of getting rid of half the stuff they own. Still, many of us struggle with having an open mind. What’s the answer?
Have you ever been adamant about getting your own way? Do you sometimes think there’s only one way to do a task? Often, we get stuck thinking in black and white terms. Many times we believe there’s only one way to live. We think we have to follow the status quo.
One reason people have a hard time coming to terms with the minimalist lifestyle, is that they’re not as open minded as they could be. But there are ways to improve your open-mindedness. Let’s look at a few:
- Let go of control: The biggest reason for resistance is that we want to control every aspect of our thoughts and our lives. When we let go of that control, resistance to new ideas will diminish.
- Look at the big picture: Too often we look at the world through a narrow lens. Try to view the world from other peoples’ perspectives. If there are two sides to an argument, study both sides.
- Study the angles: Great photographers study all the angles. If you look at the mountain from a variety of directions, you will see many mountains.
- Be willing to be wrong: Do you insist on being right? Occasionally, I like to debate politics and religion. I’ve noticed that most people have a need to be right. But it’s only when we’re willing to accept our own errors that we become more open minded.
- Welcome changes: Being resistant to change is a sign of trying to remain in control. Change allows us to move more freely from one thing to another. Change helps us to become problem solvers. The more you accept change, the more open minded you’ll become.
Open Your Mind To Minimalism
People create emotional attachments to material things. I love my guitars because creating music makes me feel joyful. Driving my car with the windows down makes me feel exhilarated. Even though it’s actually the actions that make me feel these emotions, it still creates attachment to my possessions.
I struggle with being open to living a more minimalist lifestyle. Right now, I still own many more things than I’d like to own. I can envision living simply, but actually taking action is more difficult. Still, even the willingness to visualize a more minimalist life is an act of being open minded. In time, it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Remember to do these things:
- Let go of control.
- Look at the big picture.
- Study the angles.
- Be willing to be wrong.
- Welcome changes.
If you’d like to learn more about letting go of control and finding more contentment in life, I invite you to read my free ebook. Just click the link below to get started.